St.Figael's Church, Llanfigael, Anglesey
Wales is littered with redundant, derelict and/or abandoned churches and chapels. Drive around any area of wales for long enough and one will come in to view almost certainly. The church photographed here has been redundant for some time yet is in relatively good condition inside and out.
St Figael's Church, has been designated by Cadw as a Grade II listed building, and is under the care of the Friends of Friendless Churches. The church is considered by Cadw to be particularly notable because it retains its early 19th-century interior virtually intact.
The present church is thought to date from the 18th century, and it was rebuilt in 1841. A church has been documented on this site since 1254 and listed in the 1254 Norwich Taxation, but of a medieval church, little survives other than the font and perhaps foundations and part of the walling. Since it was declared redundant, the charity the Friends of Friendless Churches has held a 999-year lease, which was transferred to them on 1 February 2007. After taking it over, the charity has organised the re-covering of the roof, and has re-introduced timber windows designed by Tim Ratcliffe, their design being based on the pre-existing windows.
It is a small rectangular church constructed in stone rubble. At the west end is a gabled rendered bellcote. The doorway is at the west end of the south side, and there is no chancel. The fittings are thought to date from the 19th century. The pulpit is on the north side of the church; elsewhere there are box pews and benches. At the west end are three fonts; the oldest dates from the 12th century, and was formerly in the church of St Ynghenedl; the next dates from the 14th century, and is octagonal in shape; while the third is a rare cupboard font.
Towards the end of the 20th century the church had again become redundant and at risk of decay. A local retired vicar and school teacher, Rev. Edgar Jones, took it under his wing and maintained it against the sometimes harsh west Anglesey weather. He eventually negotiated between the Friends of Friendless Churches, CADW and the Church in Wales for the Friends to take it on in 2007. Sympathetic restoration took place and the church was reopened in 2009. Sadly, Rev. Jones died shortly before the work was finished. He is buried just outside the east wall.