Manor Hospital Guardian's Building, Walsall
Workhouse board of guardians' offices. 1898-1900; by Henry E. Lavender of Walsall, for the
Board of Guardians of Walsall Poor Law Union.
The building was constructed in the late 19th century - believed to be circa 1899, and originally functioned as part of the town's work-house complex.
This Grade II Listed building is the only surviving part of the former workhouse that became part of the Manor Hospital as the other buildings have long since been demolished when the new hospital buildings were built.
The building has functioned for different purposes since it was originally built being with this building becoming part of The Manor Hospital.
The interior - although tired and showing the typical signs of neglect - was in surprisingly good condition. A few rusting hospital beds still remain inside giving a hint of one of its later uses as a medical centre. The vintage green tiling throughout was a delight to see and allowed the building to retain its vintage feel.