In order to fit in to the Victorian street layout already in place, the former Everton Library was built to an anomalous triangular plan.
Once aptly named 'The jewel on the Hill, the library features a striking octagonal turret, an eclectic Jacobean Arts & Crafts exterior along with an imposing glass vaulted ceiling and grand mezzanine floor.
Completed in 1896, under the design of the Liverpool architect Thomas Shelmerdine, Eveton Library was one of the earliest public libraries in Liverpool.
The library finally closed for good in 1999 and is Grade II listed.
Hope St. Ltd., a community arts charity, were leading the development of The jewel on the Hill project; alongside heritage Works and Liverpool City Council, they planned to redevelop the building as a cultural hub to be used as a mixed arts space and visitor centre.
Listing building consent had been granted by English heritage and a stage one heritage Lottery Fund application was to be submitted by the end of 2016.
After the previous unsuccessful attempts, a new campaign to reopen the library as a multi-purpose community hub was launched in October 2021. Initial funds have been secured for essential structural work. The project is aiming to be funded with further support from Liverpool City Council and the heritage Lottery Fund.
Let's hope for a happy ending for this beautiful building which does deserve to be saved and put to a new use for many years to come.