Dawson's Fabrics Mill, Huddersfield
Greenside Mill was built around 1770 by William Marsden who's daughter married Richard Field who then traded there for a number of years until forming the partnership of Field & Bottrill in the 1880's.
Richard Field, born in 1804, took full control of the business, which he gradually changed from fancy weaving to shawl production [...] a staunch Methodist, he was also involved in the running of the Old Town School and Sunday School. His son, Samuel, inherited the business and like his cousins, attended Sheffield Wesleyan College.
In 1861 he expanded the Greenside works and formed the company Field and Bottril in 1872, concentrating on pile fabric and astrakhan production, however, an import duty imposed by the United States government in 1889 badly affected the company. Samuel Field was a trustee and secretary for the Weslyan chapel and, when the building became dilapidated, helped erect a new one on the same site. Having no direct heir, he brought his nephew, Percy Richard Jackson, into the company and it was he who steered the company to safety, taking on a partner, Francis Child, in 1901 although the name Field and Bottrill was retained. In 1967, it was taken over by the Keighley company, Haggas.
Dawson Fabrics were the most recent and final business to occupy the mill. The mill finally closed for good in
February 2006 with the loss of 70 jobs. Administrators from Leicestershire insolvency were called to handle the company affairs. The company was said to be doing well when operational, with orders from high street stores such as Marks & Spencer. Dawson Fabrics were making fleecing for jackets and blankets.
Since it closure, there have been a number of failed attempts to redevelop the site into housing. More recently, a planning application for 149 houses has been submitted with a demolition order which was denied but has since been re-submitted with agreed amendments