Adwy - dêg
Cloud House, Trawsfynydd, Wales
Visited 3 times over the winter of 2014/15
This amazing house appeared online at the end of 2014 and after a few hours on Google Maps and other websites we managed to track it down as a place that simply had to be photographed. Its name 'Cloud House' was presumably given due to the house being at such high altitude that the clouds are almost touching the house.
Abandoned houses are often called time capsules which has become an over used term it has to be said, but this one truly was. Inside was a house which hadn't been lived in for a very long time but still had inside all the personal artefacts from when it was occupied. The photographs are enough to speak for themselves so a description of the interior isn't really necessary. Every room was a mini museum, a throwback to a past time when the world was a simpler place.
Unfortunately, the house became very popular amongst explorers and bit by bit, items disappeared, got moved round and eventually the house was cleared and sealed up. Later images are a sad reflection of what happens when too many people rush to a location. Luckily, we were there from the word go and managed to photograph it as it was when it was found in 2014 as an abandoned and derelict house. In saying that, in the couple of months between my first and third and final visit, many items had disappeared and been moved around for staged shots as can be seen in this gallery.
The house and farm are called Adwy - dêg as can be seen from OS Maps and is surrounded by low-lying boggy land which made the walk up to the house somewhat difficult.
The Census from the 1840s has a record of farmer Robert Morris (45) and his mother Catherine Morris (87) as being the residents of Adwy - dêg. Robert Morris had a son Evan born in 1816 aas well as a daughter Jane, born in 1820. Lately, Robert morris's grand children also appear to have resided at Adwy - dêg in the mid 19th century. In more recent times, the farm appears to have belonged to the Jones family. Emrys Jones lived there in the 1950s along with a Miss Enid Williams. The last occupant appears to have been Miss Elizabeth Williams. It is unknown when the last person resided there and the house became abandoned.