Bank Hall, Chorley
Photographed in 2014 as a derelict shadow of its former self. Bank Hall was a sprawling 17th century grand country house in its day but since 1971 had deteriorated and reduced to a crumbling ruin.
Located at Bretherton in Lancashire and hidden away in woodland, Bank Hall was completed in 1608, was remodelled in 1831 by George Anthony Legh-Keck, the then owner of the Hall and it then became a mixture of Jacobean and Georgian Gothic in style. The four-storey tower survived the redesign unaltered.
Today, it has undergone an incredible transformation. The saving of the Hall was achieved by Heritage Trust for the North West working with the Bank Hall Action Group and the Heritage Lottery Fund which provided a grant for the restoration and conversion of the house. However, a viable scheme was only possible with the assistance of a significant amount of enabling development. Urban Splash were appointed the preferred developer and the scheme is now coming to completion. Funding for a heritage centre and meeting room in the tower was also secured as part of the plan while the garden is to be restored for public use. As of 2022 the building is now private flats.
For an extensive historical account and overview of the work done by The Bank Hall Action Group see the link below:
An early image of Bank Hall in Chorley
Image of Bank Hall in Chorley after renovation in 2022