America Cottage, Wales
As the 'JW-1823' plaque states on the front of the property, this hidden cottage deep in the Welsh countryside was built in 1823 by John Williams and was originally 3 cottages.
John Williams was an American property developer who emigrated to America in the mid 1800s and staked a claim on a piece of land. The claim was not honoured so Mr. Williams was forced to return to Wales and live in the cottage that he'd built. The story goes that the locals from a nearby village named his house 'America' because of his association with the country.
The last people to be living there were Oswald and Irene Jones. Oswald Jones was born in the cottage and inherited it from his father. He worked as a lengthman, looking after a stretch of road from Llansilin to Rhydycroessau. The building was lived in until 2006 from when it has just remained frozen in situ at risk from the elements.